Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hey?! Knock it off!

Bomb...in a shipping container near Bagram (bonus quote from my friend Kabir Ahmad!). Yeah, while a good way to transport it to BAF, you'd never get it on base. So this looks like someone taking a poke at the front gate area. So who is at the front gate area? A few soldiers, a lot of Pakistani and Afghan truck drivers and kids. That is the brave AQ/TB/HIG - blow up truck drivers and kids:


Waiting to enter the search area at the front gate of Bagram.


This is what was probably waiting to go to the search area


As for the Vice President - I doubt he, or anyone with him even heard the bomb [UPDATE: Wrong, he did hear it]. I had to walk from the area he would have been up to the front gate ever frickin' day for months. It's a bit of a stroll. Well more than a mile. But I guess the fact it was even in the same neighborhood gives the story a hook. And can be used to segue into "increasing violence" "resurgent Taliban" "yada, yada, yada" "blah, blah, blah".

I just wanted an excuse to post a picture of Kabir Ahmad and, well, me looking kind of dopey.

8 Comments:

Blogger maggie katzen said...

ooooh, snazzy cape. ;D

and was it a truck bomb or someone on foot? I've been hearing mixed reports.

4:14 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

I think it was in a shipping container...we'll have to wait for RTO to clear the whole thing up!

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Major John, I hear yah.

I'm not military, actually a lifelong yoga-enthusiast, and I've spent a lot of time in various parts of India. Last time in 2002 in old Delhi, where a terror bomb went off in 2005. All innocent people.

Actually my first trip to India was in 1984 aboard Air India plane 'Kanishka'. A month after I was on it the plane exploded with 300 plus passengers over the north sea. I saw film of them fishing little brown bodies out of the ocean. I kept a toothpick I was given on that plane for a decade as a memory. Salman Rushdie's banned book Satanic Verses begins with a satirical take on that disaster, in the mode of the bitter ironies of Asian life.

Asia is hell. The book which best described some of my feelings about India is 'Heart of Darkness'.

They *always' use the innocent as pawns in their games. Heartless, heartless people.

You guys are saints for just trying to clean up that mess. I'm thinking of you all.

5:25 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

"I have been in Darrah for 3 years now. If I were posted to the Dark Side of the Moon, I couldn't possibly be more...isolated. You haven't any idea what I am talking about, have you?"

"No, effendi"

"Have you? No...I suppose that would be too...lucky."

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it matter beyond it was a bomb and someone from the USA was the intended or accidental target not to mention the innocent bystanders that these cowards murdered or injured. A terrorist group claimed it and admitted to their intent. If you really wanted to end this war, then it's time to mount up and sent in some of those high priced fighter aircraft with the pilots that are the best in the world and wipe any area connected with the Taliban, known homes, training facilities, supporting businesses, Etc., and send them the message that America is more that ready and capable of dealing with them in a language they understand.

10:51 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Haji-o,

When I was tired (or lazy, whatever) I used to take that bus back to my B-hut when I was finished outside...

10:27 PM  
Blogger Tim Worstall said...

Cheney did say that breakfast was excellent didn't he?
Glad to see that little bro' is still getting things right.

9:53 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Of course, Tim! FInest cuisine in the'stan. I still remember tucking in at Camp Suter...yum!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?