Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Two Series and a Hope.

I am a big fan of John Scalzi - in particular his book "Old Man's War".


When he came out with a sequel "The Ghost Brigades", I was hopeful that it would be as good as the first effort.


It was. And then some.

While I wait for the third book in the series, I find myself hoping that Scalzi doesn't pull what Colleen McCullough did... with the Masters of Rome series (The First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown, Fortune's Favorites, Ceasar's Women, Ceasar, and The October Horse). After completing the first 5 books, she STOPPED! She worked on other projects and took years to get back to write the last book. Of course, I didn't know that it was going to be the last book of the series. When I got to the conclusion, McCullough informed all of us readers that she had to stop writing the series now, or she would never be able to stop. "And this is a problem HOW?!" I thought. Gah! And don't leave angry comments - I know she has intervening circumstances. It is just that the series was so good, and she clearly likes writing about the subject matter. Sigh.

So, as I see Scalzi's series unfold, I have a small dread that he will someday say "enough" - when there is still more to see in the universe he has created. At least there will be a third book, or more, so I guess I should be happy for that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I can't wait for the next one either! He says he already has his copy though, so it's on it's way to bookstores earlier than expected. I'm trying to wait patiently...but it's just not working!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Citizen Deux said...

Scalzi is a great writer. I found both books to be superb efforts. A good friend of mine, who is his first reader, gave me Old Man's War.

He reminds me of a combination of H. Beam Piper, Haldeman and Asimov rolled into one. The universe he created is believable and the characters (most importantly) are compelling.

I am reading David Weber's Shadow of Saganami, a space opera type set amdist the Royal Manticoran Navy. It has some good elements, but lacks some of the authenticity of what I would suspect future space naval engagements might look like.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Pat Patterson said...

Relax, the publishers can always continue the series like L. Ron Hubbard, Robert Ludlum, Ian Fleming and my personal favorite Jean de Brunhoff. Now whether they will be any good is another story.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?