Monday, October 23, 2006

More Evidence of Low Morale and Uncaring Soldiers

Thanks to the good SGT Hook, I was made aware of "Operation Care." My officemates collected 5 boxes of basic school supplies to send in support of this effort. I just received an e-mail from the NCO who is helping to run the school part of the Operation...

Dear John,

I wanted to write you and thank you for the wonderful donations you made to us here in Afghanistan. The other day I opened up one of your boxes and found your
card. It really made me feel good to see where it was coming from.
I am from ___________ at _______High School and have been a US History teacher there for the past 25 years. In 1979 I got out of the Army and went to Purdue and decided to go into teaching. But after being out of the Army that long I decided to get into the guard after 911. Well it took over three years and I finally ambushed the state TAG at an awards ceremony for my daughters unit returning back from the war. Three days later I was back in but had to wavier retirement. But that wasn't my goal - I just wanted to serve and return to teaching which I love and miss.
I am an MP but was taken from the volunteer list and placed in an ASG. Once we arrived here I was placed in S-5, Civil Affairs, a job that is the best. The 1SG of the section and myself felt that the section wasn't doing enough for the Afghan people so we started a program called Operation Care". We now have 80+ volunteers that work with us giving out needed things to local Afghans. Your donations have really helped us and we thank you!


Thanks again,
_______
Sgt. ________
Task Force Tiger
219th ASG
S-5, Civil Affairs
Bagram Airfield
APO AE 09354

I am leaving the address up for those that wish to send clothing, shoes or very basic school supplies (pens, notebooks - please try to get the kind without the wire/spiral binding. No fancy stuff, crayons or art supplies).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've sent lots of school supplies to both Iraq and Afghanistan; most of the notebooks I've sent have been of the spiral variety. Just wondering why you are suggesting that we NOT send spiral notebooks--I haven't had any specific feedback on that issue from the soldiers I've sent them to. Thanks.

12:45 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

The wire can get mashed in shipping or transit, and packing is a bit more difficult. Also, whe you are writing with one of those notebooks, you hit your hand on the wire when start on every other page (the other way than we are used to - Afghans write from the right side of the page to the left.
A small point, to be sure. I have sent wire spiraled one too.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to send more supplies to Afghanistan and perhaps some kits to people in the media who -- for some reason -- find all of these efforts un-newsworthy.

1:41 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Karl,

I don't think the media will pay much attention to Afghanistan beyond a few boilerplate "increasing violence" or "resurgent Taliban" stories from Reuters or AP Kabul based types.

This is going to have to be a new media matter.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major -
I'll try and remember to link to this tomorrow a.m.

I sent a link to this to my little brother at Fort Polk. I'll also let my flotilla know of this. I'll see what we can do.

Mikey NTH (proud member of the USCG Auxiliary since 1999).

7:14 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Fort Polk - urk! Send your brother my regards - and my pity...heh.

Thanks Mikey - we will take all the help we can get!

7:17 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Outstanding, CSM!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Major. I'll send your regards and sympathies.

7:43 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

Major John - we can just send these things with no name to address them to?

9:33 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

Thank you Major John... wheels are in motion.

GOD bless.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?