Monday, August 07, 2006

An Old Error Corrected

17 months late but it finally happened. The Inner Prop got his due:

He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his service as commander of operations at FOB Salerno in Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom V (2004-2005). Well deserved and way late.

I had asked our overall Task Force commander, back in March 2005 when we would see our people from Salerno get their awards. The half blank, half panicked look I got told me that something had gone wrong. Unfortunately I was right. The Prop's award submission didn't get made timely. Needless to say I was a bit pissed off, and the Prop was disappointed. Here was the guy that (with his invaluable right hand man - yes, you CPT Webb, and indominitable NCOIC - the now CSM Beck) ran the toughest place we had responsibility for. They won the "rocket cup" by having 94 rockets, of the 122mm variety, fired into them. The 1/501 Parachute Infantry Regiment called him a "warfighter" - not too bad, hmmm?

The same sort of thing continues to this day - we have a signal unit that is being incorporated into our headquarters, and the faces of NCOs from that unit light up like the sun when they see the Prop for the first time at HQ. It may have been years since they served with him, but they haven't forgotten him.

Oh, and there was a Brigadier General on hand to pin his medal on... and when this General says something to the effect of "good job, son", he isn't just speaking generalese - he means it literally. How fantastic is that, to have your father, a retired Brigadier General pin your Bronze Star on you?

"Way to go, son!"

The whole Prop family was on hand too. Wife, kids, siblings (including the Navy NCO on the right) were all there to see it.

"Hey, we are ALL proud of him!"

I am grateful to the CDR of the 108th SBDE for putting his boot into the rear end of the process, so to speak. Also, a fun fact: The Order for the BSM was signed by LTG Honore - of "stuck on stupid" fame...

"That's right y'all - he deserved that medal. Don't get stuck on stupid people, congratulate the Inner Prop".

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo Hoo!!!!! Congratulations, Inner Prop!!! Thanks for your great service to our nation.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Carin said...

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Congratulations Inner Prop! I am soooo proud to know you.

9:44 AM  
Blogger prairie biker said...

Congrats! Proud to have met you!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, Prop! Can you post the citation, MJ?

10:11 AM  
Blogger Rob B. said...

Outstanding and well deserved. You make us proud.

10:22 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

I don't have a copy of the citation... and I don't know if the Prop wanted me to make such a big deal about this, so I doubt I'll be able to pry it our of him.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some say that justice delayed is justice denied. In this case, however, I believe it is better late than never.

Congrats Bill!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Most excellent news!!!

Congratulations, Inner Prop! You are honoured.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, sir!

1:54 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

OUTSTANDING INNER PROP!

*applause*

Thank you for your service, sir.

5:37 PM  
Blogger CSMBones said...

I have a new soldier from the 501st that was at FOB Salerno. He is in my Scout/Sniper Platoon. He speaks fondly of inner prop and CPT. Web. But his kindest words are always for the very loud, cazy 1SGT Beck. Now SGM. Belated Congrats Sir. COLD STEEL!!!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Maggie Goff said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And thank you so much, and your family, too.

1:41 AM  
Blogger maggie katzen said...

yay!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

I am overwhelmed by your congratulations. Thank you all very much.

BTW it was my Dad's birthday too. As he was pinning the medal on he told me it was the best birthday present he's ever had. How cool is that?

I am honored that soldiers from the 1/501st remember me and CPT Webb. They were the ones who really gave that FOB a solid foundation. I am not at all surprised they remember SGM Beck (recently selected for CSM). He's hard to miss.

BTW2 I spoke with the 108th Sustainment Bde commander Sunday and he said that the effort was spearheaded and doggedly pursued by the DBC and the S1.

BTW3 - YUP I'm the guy who shut down Aziz. I know he's a very poor man, but I moved as soon as the vet reported that the food was unapproved. I also canceled Pizza Hut and Subway (we hadn't yet gone to three hot meals at the DFAC) which was when I got the complement of "warfighter" by the 1/501st XO.

11:20 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Subway?! At Salerno!? Ahhh!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Bill - a penny for your thoughts...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

Salerno Subway - there's a time and a place for everything. As the TF Thunder CSM would have put it, maybe they have their battle rhythm.

As for a penny for my thoughts, go to www.illini6.blogspot.com. I have a whole blog full of opinions and very few comments. Come join the fun. Please.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?