Friday, May 26, 2006

News of Afghanistan VIII

KabulPress photo of the day.


Friday already? OK, time once again for news you may or may not (probably not) have heard regarding Afghanistan. Let 'er rip!

Remember how I pointed out the Afghans might lend a hand? OK, maybe not...

Bus, bus, magic bus! (Alright - not the one shown above)

"Honorable repatration" of refugees by Pakistan, hmmm?

"How many are you sending back?!"

Photos? You want photos? Try these.

From Helmand to London junkies, with love. Ok, not love, but for cash.

I've been workin' on the railroad, all the live long day!

Manners! Manners, people! This is the Wolesi Jirga for Heaven's sake! (Oh, and yes, I do know Haji Almas. If I was still there, I'd give him a piece of my mind...)

Cricket?! Oh, well. I guess I should have seen this one coming.

DOZENS MORE INSURGENTS KILLED IN AFGHANISTAN
Continuing days of violence, some 60 suspected neo-Taliban insurgents died along with five men from Afghanistan's security forces in fighting in southern Afghanistan on May 24, AFP reported. The latest clash began on May 23, when insurgents attacked an Afghan army convoy on patrol in Oruzgan Province. "We launched a massive search and clean-up operation after the attack in which our troops spotted and killed 60 Taliban," said General Rahmatullah Raufi, the head of Afghan forces in the south. Raufi said four soldiers were killed in the fighting. The Interior Ministry said a policeman died in the same incident. An estimated 350 people -- overwhelmingly insurgents -- have died in recent days as fighting has raged in Afghanistan. Most of the violence has occurred in southern Afghanistan, where neo-Taliban insurgents are most active. But the security situation appears to be worsening somewhat in the north as well.

Lead story here.

"What did he say?"

by Spc. Michael Zuk. May 25, 2006 - Lt. Col. Christopher Cavoli, Battalion commander of 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division, attends a “shura” meeting with Afghan elders from the Korengal Valley of Kunar Province. Economic and security issues were discussed. [This photo appeared on www.army.mil.]

Canadians hanging tough.

EU talking tough.

I am not sure what to make of this story. Agriculture had been coming back strong since the drought broke. Could be the usual alarmist talk from aid groups, could be right on track. I hope they are wrong, obviously.

This week's Afghan news source: 1st headlines

2 Comments:

Blogger CSMBones said...

Great stuff...I can see that pompus ass Haji Almos put down his lamb chop as he made his statement. I worry about her, but she is fearless. The french even having a carrier is interesting. I did not know SPADs are that fast.
Good food with Hadji Almos's Body Guards at his restaurant. I remember the hard working NGOs smoking hash at their tables. I love Kebabs.....

5:31 PM  
Blogger sparrow said...

I love little Afghan babies with green water pitchers.

Great photo.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?