Tuesday, May 30, 2006

How Events Conspire to Keep Me Humble

It was quite hot at yesterday's ceremony in honor of MSG Moore. I was in my Class A uniform and it didn't come out of the experience without needing to be cleaned. So of to the dry cleaner in my office building I went this morning.

I almost considered not passing this little moment along, as it almost seems hokey - but I keep running into things like this. So...

Like many cleaners in the area, this one is a Korean immigrant, family run business. As I handed over my uniform, the lady at the counter asked me "you military?"

"Yes ma'am, I am"

"You Army?"

"Yes ma'am, I am Army."

"My son, he in ROTC at school."

"Really, which school?"

"______ University. He is Air Force ROTC."

I point to my glasses and tell her "I couldn't fly, my eyes are too bad, so I am Army instead." She was at least polite enough to laugh.

I think what had convinced me to publish this little scene was remembering this little dust up.
Compare and contrast - spoiled UC students actions, 1st generation immigrant's action. Who do you think appreciates their being in this country more?

4 Comments:

Blogger Ana Martin said...

It's true. American's don't take liberty seriously. We are a spoiled teenager of a nation. We might even be drunk and behind the wheel.

8:51 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Ana,

I take it seriously. Obviously the young man in AFROTC does.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

That link reminds me of the time when we were training up at the armory just before we went to Afghanistan. We were walking down the street to get a burito and some guy across the street yelled, "Get out of Iraq!"

First of all, we were in Chicago, not Iraq and secondly we were going to Afghanistan, not Iraq.

A friend of MJ and I once said it best, "I don't know what I'm talking about, but here is my opinion."

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience in Pusan last year. A Korean taxi cab driver asked "You Navy?"

To my reply of "yes", he cried out "Marine!" and thumped his chest, "I kill commies! Vietnam!"

I shook his hand and gave him a big tip.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?