Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Panjshir Valley

A look at the southern end of the Panjshir Valley in late Summer.

The area was reasonable fertile even during the drought that had gripped Afghanistan for 10 years, before breaking this past year. The Panjshiri were quite clever about irrigating their fields without benefit of pumps or motors - but by the end of Summer, the River itself was almost gone. I can only imagine the feelings the farmers must have had every day when they would look down to the Panjshir River and ask themselves if it was lower, was it going to be enough?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very beautiful. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see the water source your life depends on disappear. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Afghanistan. I must say I'm always excited for the next one. :)

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major John!!! When I saw this photo I thought you had come to visit us in sunny Arizona! Honestly, there is a place near Saguaro Lake; if you pull over to the side of the road and look across the valley at the Salt River (Rio Salado), it looks EXACTLY like this. I imagine our Pima tribes faced many of the same challenges agriculturally as the farmers of Afghanistan.

Beautiful photo - I agree with Mich - always excited for the next!

Thank you.

9:52 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Wow - put up a nice view and I get three nice women to compliment it. OK, back to the photo discs to look for more of these! :)

P.S. Cowgirl - I have been following your story of you and Dr. Travis. Wow!

3:19 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

Western Suburbia. I lived in Champaign (near Hessel Park) back in the day.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?