Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I've Stepped In It Now...


I have become the Beast That Wants Your Children (in the eyes of some). In other words, I have become part of the Guard Recruiting Assistance Program.

The irony of this is rich - back when I was a 2LT I used to joke with a friend of mine (yes, Jac, you) that he and I were "decruiters". People would ask why we had to leave parties early on Friday night and we would reply "I have Guard drill tomorrow". The others would shake their heads, go back to their beers and say they were glad they weren't us...

I cannot say that the money angle of this isn't attractive - but it isn't the prime incentive for me to do this. I don't know a lot of people of recruitable age - so this should be a challenge.
However, I have an huge interest in seeing the right people come into the Guard. I very likely will end up deployed to a war zone with them. I intend on being very picky - no press gang (the contracting representative shot me a befuddled look when I asked if we could do that), no snow jobs - I have been an enlisted grunt, and the glamour just doesn't shine when you are humping a pack across the Georgia clay in July. But I have to say that I have become a much better person by virtue of my service - I have learned a lot, seen some amazing things, and experienced even more...and that kind of opportunity is something I can explain fairly well.

UPDATE: I am quite sure I will NOT have the same patience as Sgt Hook.

8 Comments:

Blogger maggie katzen said...

yay! rto has always been eager to promote the guard. he'll bring it up with just about anyone.

8:04 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

When RTO gets back - have him hook up with this. He'd be a natural at this.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godspeed from a 70-year-old former US who used to think that NG stood for No Good, but who has changed his tune. A lot. A whole lot.

3:59 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

US,

Trust me, when I enlisted back in 1985 that was just starting to change...took a few years!

5:31 PM  
Blogger jeff said...

Well sir, I'll be joining you in a way soon - I'm transferring soon from the IRR to the drilling reserve as a 79V, Career Counselor.

7:17 PM  
Blogger LTC John said...

USAR ain't bad either, Jeff. One Team, right?

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in the RA in 1986, Artillery 13 fox, we used to call the NG, No Gos. I guess that is no longer true.

5:51 AM  
Blogger LTC John said...

"NG" it still was in 1986 - probably sometime around 1988-1989 I'd say we had turned the corner for the most part - definitely by the time the Gulf War had gone on, the last of the Old Guard was gone.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?