Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Picture of a Hero

Yours Truly (L) and a Marine Corps Surgeon (R) meeting with Parwan Province government officials.

I have had a couple of conversations with health care providers recently. It really made me think about what people who have the calling or gift of healing mean to us. I remembered meeting a USMC surgeon who worked in our Area of Operations - not just on US or Coalition personnel, but on plenty of Afghans as well. This man could have stayed safe and comfortable in the US, earning a nice living too. Instead, here he was in his country's uniform, in a war torn country, helping the afflicted and the injured. The Parwan Provincial Ministry of Health officials were deeply grateful to him, and thought him a hero. So do I.

1 Comments:

Blogger Inner Prop said...

We had some venerable O6 surgeons (mainly Naval Captains) in our FOB. If my calculations are correct and based on what they reported at the weekly meetings, 75% of the folks they treated at our military hospital were Afghans (civilian, militia and military). Remember also, they could only treat locals if they were in danger of losing “life, limb or eyesight.”

The things they (meaning all the medical folks) did were amazing. I hope I did enough for them.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?