Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Gimme Fuel, Gimme Fire, Gimme That Which I Desire!


So what's the craziest thing you've ever done? I got a call from my brother last Monday. He said he had won free passes to a Metallica concert in Park City, UT, and he wanted me to go with him. When? That Wednesday, less than 48 hours later. After some discussion that left me feeling amazingly like Cameron from Ferris Buehler's Day Off, I finally decided to go for it. Feh! Not all that crazy, you may say? Well I felt like it was pretty crazy for a 40-something corporate drone.

Now, I've seen Metallica concerts plenty of times. Why would I drop everything and book a $540 flight to Utah on 1 day's notice? This was to be a private concert in a small club with a meet-n-greet afterward as part of the premier of The Darwin Awards at the Sundance Film Festival, in which Metallica is featured. "Once in a lifetime", sez my brother.

The concert was very, very cool; a nice long set, playing all the old hits and almost none of the new stuff that I don't like so much. We were only a handful of feet from the stage, very intimate. The only issue was that the event was somewhat oversold by metclub.com, both literally and figuratively. First, they must have sent the same "you win!" message to nearly all of its members, judging by the crowd who were all "on the list" -- We actually heard there were some "winners" who didn't even get into the concert at all. Second, there was no meet-n-greet at all (at least not for us). Well, I did get into a private Sundance after-party for "free", and it was very fun. No regrets!

The final irony: I called in sick on Thursday, and Friday I came down with a nasty cold. Karma, baby!

2 Comments:

Blogger Citizen Deux said...

What is it about refreshing the flame of our youth which continues to be so tough?

I took my bride and a good friend out for a "ultra hip" New Year's eve.

The music was okay but the general demeanor of the 20 something attendees was decidedly lacking.

The trip sounded like a great op! I would have only traded Metallica for Rush and then life would have been sweet!

I need to figure out something similar to drag myself and my own brother out of our corporate doldrums!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe Hell!! My friend went there.

I don't think the cold had anything to do with karma. Just the people around you. *smiles*

My friend wrote too me something about some chicks doing a striptease to One? Okay what planet....

Did you see a woman with long blond hair being carried out by the police, with a long black haired man following behind smiling? Thats my friend, I usually go with them. Shucks!!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?