Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Afghanistan's Most Popular Auto Sticker

Somebody cashed in at the end of the Taliban era. That regime had forbidden many displays of color/images, heck, almost everything. That was quite contrary to the custom and practice of the Afghan people. What we saw was that many Afghan cars, trucks, vans - anything that moved (at least in the Kabul/Bagram area) - had these decals on them. I can only imagine the thoughts of the daring entreprenuer(s) that first darted across the border from Pakistan with thousands of these things in tow...


See what I mean?

3 Comments:

Blogger LoveMyTanker said...

Now that is funny! :)

9:25 AM  
Blogger Inner Prop said...

Now that you mention it some of the buildings were very colorful, or at least trying to regain their color. It seemed like they were trying from the inside out.

I never really thought about it because everything is so dusty and tan/gray. I guess that was caused by a combo of Taliban repression and poverty.

I have a lovely photo of the CMOC in Khowst and the garden they had there. I'll post it when I find it.

Also, now that I think about it I had the inside of our barracks painted pale blue. Is that color okay for a non-mosque? I hope so. I'm assuming that eventually we will turn those over to the Afghans.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Muslihoon said...

I miss the trucks, taxis, and rickshaws of South Asia. So colorful and gaudy. :-)

Nice that they'd choose that to decorate their vehicles with.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • Wikablog - The Weblog Directory

  • My blog is worth $60,970.32.
    How much is your blog worth?